Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Iona in Mission (IIM): Miami Trip - Day 3

Here I am in what feels like paradise with the warm sun on my face, wind at my back and an empowering feeling of purpose rushing over me like a pipeline wave. Its been three days since my arrival to Miami and the experience has been great. Like many other trips I have begun to take time to reflect on the ever changing season know as life.


At Archbishop Curley-Notre Dame High school I have been lucky to interact with the bright future of American Society. Many of these young adults are immigrants or the product of immigrants and I cannot help but think of the trials and tribulations my relatives overcame when they also traveled to a new land carrying nothing but hopes and dreams.


Though most of the students are of Haitian or Cuban descent, one cannot help but experience the strength of the human condition among the halls of this school in paradise. Having the opportunity to interact with the students, I have been able to learn the cultural traditions they hold dear and instill in them the hope that one day the future will allow them to dream with the sky as the limit.


This morning I met a student athlete raising money for his sports team. I gave him a five dollar bill for a dollar's worth of candy. The expression of gratitude that overwhelmed his adolescent face will remain with me for years to come.


I am grateful that as an Iona student I am blessed to have had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of these adolescents.


-Flo Maroney '12
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry