Friday, April 20, 2012

Friends of Edmund Celebrate Heritage Week: Bolivia Continues to Reflect

It’s been a little over a month since I returned from the first Iona in Mission Bolivia trip with my team. Ever since I was a freshman I promised myself I would not graduate without going on a mission trip, and here I am in the last month of my senior year, proud to say I accomplished that goal.

Till this day I am still overwhelmed by all the different emotions I experienced on my trip. It was in fact the most transformative and influential experience I have ever had in my life. I think my team would agree when I say I was a very different person before Bolivia. Through many nightly reflections, tears and a lot of tissues I opened my heart to Bolivia.

While I was in Cochabamba I reflected a lot on my life before the trip. One of the main themes brought up in reflection was the presence of God. Before I left on this trip I was going through a very difficult time in my life. I didn’t feel Gods presence and I hadn’t felt it for a long time. This was a struggle for me, especially in Bolivia.

The connections we made on this trip made me feel whole again. It brought back life into a person who just wanted to let go. The one aspect that transformed me the most were the children. Over the course of the week we visited many schools, daycares an orphanage and homes in the mountains. Every day was new for us, and every day I started off the day nervous. These children changed my life. They brought happiness back into my life, that I didn’t even realize I was lacking. I truly believe I felt what unconditional love was that day and for the rest of the week. None of these children knew us or knew anything about our lives. From the minute we stepped into their classrooms they never left our side. At times we had fifteen to twenty children hanging off of us just wanting to hold any part of our hand they could reach. Their joy was contagious and opened my heart.

We learned from the brothers that most of these children suffered from the ills of poverty, such as abuse, abandonment and disease, just to name a few. Going into this trip I thought about what I would be doing, I would volunteer, help and I would donate. I never expected the one and only thing these children wanted was love. The simplicity of giving back to these children is what changed my life. Just giving them a hug, or telling them they are beautiful or even just holding their hand for comfort meant the world to them and me.

An example of the way the children and the brothers led us through this journey was the day me and my two other teammates hiked up the mountains with brother Renato to visit the children. It had rained the night before and none of us were ready for the experience we had. The mountains were all mud, our shoes were ruined after our first few steps. All three of us clung to eachother arm and arm helping eachother up the muddy paths. Every now and then we would look up the path to see Brother Renato swiftly walking up the mountain. This day was one of the most physically and mentally straining day we had and at the end of it I sat with Renato reminiscing. I was amazed at the fact that he climbs up that mountain every day to visit these children and he just stated it was what he was called to do.

The Brothers commitment to service is what inspired me everyday. That inspiration stayed with me as I returned home and discerned what to do after graduation. My connection to the children and brothers of Cochabamba is so strong that is compelled me to put my acceptance to John Jay Graduate Program on hold and break the borders of my heart and return to Cochabamba.

I naively thought I would be helping to change the lives of the people of Cochabamba, what I didn’t know is that they would be changing me. This experience and these children gave me my happiness back, they gave me strength and they gave me the greatest love I have ever felt and I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

-Jacqueline Keeley '12