Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Iona in Mission: Agape

On the way to Massachusetts everyone took these few hours to get a quick nap in before we arrived at the community, and we're lucky we did! After a quick orientation on the organic and self-sufficient nature of Agape Community by Suzanne and Brayton Shanley, founders and operators.   We enjoyed an excellent lunch of vegetarian chili and an Agape vegetable soup. 

Then, we were unexpectedly put to work right away. We all worked hard clearing some brush from the entrance to a little wooded area right near St. Francis House, the house where we will be staying this week. Brayton then recruited us all to help him organize a pile of wood by size for stacking. This pile was MASSIVE. It must have been five feet high, eight feet wide, and twenty feet long! It took us about an hour, maybe an hour and a half to conquer it, and boy were we proud. Afterward, we had some rest and relaxation time, while Kyle prepared us vegetarian tacos for dinner--they were delicious!

Our reflection tonight was based on drawing up and discussing our "Life Maps," a diagram of where we are from and how we became who we are today. This was a great time for opening up, and we all got to know each other very well, hearing about the challenges and triumphs of each participant. Later on, the evening quickly and quietly winded down to a much needed bed time.

    So far, Agape has been everything I've expected of it and more. I signed up for the Iona in Mission trip looking for a chance to spend some time with nature, and simplify my life from all the excess, and boy did I sign up for the right trip! Despite considering myself an avid fan of text-messaging, I haven't even turned my phone on since we got here, and I don't think I'll be compelled to at any point soon. All of the work here is in the forests, and the garden, picking up trees, turning soil, so on, so forth, and I can't wait to face the work week ahead! The reflection time is great as well.   Despite not being the most religious person, I still found significance in the reflections and prayer times. I cannot wait to see what tomorrow holds, all I know is I've got to be up bright and early to make breakfast! Good night, Agape!

-Kevin Towler, 2015