Monday, May 21, 2012

Iona in Mission: Chicago

On Monday, May 14 we arrived at the Brother David Darst Center. A few hours after we settled in, we went to the Epsworth Shelter. At the shelter, we heard the stories of many people who are currently homeless. I spoke to three men in particular. Each person shared their story.  One shared that he had moved to the United States from Morocco. He originally lived in Baltimore which he described to me to me as affordable but not a nice neighborhood to live in. From there he moved to Chicago where he did not know anybody. He has been living on the streets since. Another person and I discussed why Michael Jordan decided to manage the Charlottesville Bobcats instead of the Chicago Bulls. There was something about that gentleman that made me have a realization. He had a bachelor's degree in history from Depaul University and a master's degree in mathematics and education from University of Illinois at Chicago. This made me realize that even the most educated people could become homeless. Despite his current conditions, he seemed optimistic and was at least able to apply to many schools in order to become a teacher. The third person I spoke with from Cameroon. We discussed why Americans are more entertained by a normal baseball game than a world soccer match. He then asked me a question that struck me. He asked why are you here? I responded because I was on a mission trip with my school that is located in New York. I also responded that ever since I was a child, I have been more than willing to help the less fortunate. Afterwards, the director of the shelter revealed some vital information that he was once homeless. He had two bachelor's degrees in public relations and some other subject. He has also attained a master's degree in political science and once worked under President Obama. This discouraged me because even if I follow the right path, I too could become homeless. But then I remembered that he told us to always have a social safety net, which put me at ease. This experience has also made me aware that I need to become more involved in politics and possibly become a politician in order to truly help the homeless and make a difference.

-Austin Morrison, Class 2015