Monday, May 14, 2012

Iona in Mission: New Mexico Pre-trip

Our trip is rapidly approaching and I am quickly realizing that living a life of simplicity is already a growing experience for me. I stuck strictly to the packing list for New Mexico and yet somehow still managed to have a bulging suitcase and stuffed backpack. I am going to un-pack and re-pack again, taking out anything I can in order to make room. I'm redefinining my idea of "necessity", realizing that I thought I was relatively low-maintenance but my bulging bag suggests otherwise. At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else is bringing with them on the trip. I heard the weather in New Mexico is cooler than I might think, but what if it gets warmer than I anticipate in packing?  But more than what to bring and what to wear, I am very excited to begin our adventure in frequent prayer, simplicity, community, service and exploration of a culture not readily accessible in the suburbs where I grew up. I have a feeling the last thing I'm going to be thinking about once we get there is what I did or didn't fit into my suitcase. The idea that I even have a suitcase to fill is remarkable, what other common items do I have and others don't that I take for granted?Assistant Professor

-Jillian Flood, Ph.D., NCSP
Iona in Mission Moderator