Sunday, June 23, 2013

Christ House and Changing Plans by Maria Pelosi

May 22nd, 2013 - Day 3 


When Jessalyn said we had a choice and a chance to go to a medical center I was very excited. I would like to pursue a career in the health care field as a marriage and family therapist (MFT) specializing in medical care.

I have been inspired by many different things including but not limited to Project Sunshine, Camp Alvernia, Dr. FP’s healthcare class, and now Christ House.

My dad calls me a professional student. Although he may be joking, he is correct. I am blessed to have a love for reading and my fields of study. I love academia as a whole. I have also been fortunate enough to do well enough in my undergraduate work to meet the requirements to apply for multiple MFT graduate programs. Normally I am not a confident person, however I feel confident that even though I am not going to get in all the programs I apply to, the admissions counselors and program directors will be looking at my application multiple times.

I never considered taking a year off until today. Christ House has an amazing holistic outlook on patient care providing not only medical treatment but also multiple forms of mental health counseling, recreation, and case management programs. They also are neighbors with multiple outreach programs including a HIV/AIDS hospice.

Christ House accepts 7-8 volunteers to live at a beautiful house owned by the center for a year. I am considering applying for the positions. Being the obsessive worrier that I am, I have converns incuding but not limited to: “What about my dad or Brother Robert?”, “What if I get into grad school and the program and have to choose?”, “Will Victoria come visit me?” etc.

I wish I had this experience a year ago so I can have more time to decide however my first application is due in July, the next two are due in Dec, the Christ House application will be available in Jan, and the rest of my graduate applications will be done in Feb.

I am a big believer in “applying and seeing what happens” so if I feel this strongly in the winter, I will apply to Christ House.