Sunday, June 23, 2013

Now is Our Time by Andrew Jordan

May 24th, 2013 - Day 5 


Although I have not written in this journal over the last few days, I think it is important to recognize the big things we have done during the last five days.

The way in which I will do this is by recognizing the events we accomplished yesterday. When we woke up early to go to Charlie’s Place, I was put into a situation where I was dispersing medical supplies like medication and other general items for the homeless. To me, this experience of working behind a desk where homeless people arrived showed me the shifting moods of the people who were arriving. After spending a night on the street, these men became elated to eat both breakfast and lunch at Charlie’s Place. I saw men who were battling various ailments yet were in a happy mood. They were appreciative of the services they were receiving.

When working there, I felt like I belonged. I was welcomed by everyone there, especially Paul. Additionally, there was a welcome staff and the homeless people who even helped to clean up following the conclusion of the meal. This showed a strong sense of community that I will remember for the rest of my life.