Sunday, June 23, 2013

Service, Passion, and MJ by Jasmine Smalls


May 22nd, 2013 - Day 3 

“Heal the world make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race.” Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson’s song “Heal the World” is my motivation this week while in D.C. I know that my contribution will not “heal” the world, but it will hopefully begin to heal the many hearts I touch each day. I realized through Braulio, a freshmen, that service is both selfless and selfish. My journey this week will be to combine both to have a rewarding experience. Prior to DC, I was involved in many service opportunities during my undergraduate years and my time at Iona. There is my unending passion to give back but I have started to question or even tried to go deeper to understand what that passion meant to me and what I want to do with it after I leave D.C. Time will only tell but until then I will continue to heal the world one person at a time.