Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst by Steve Burth

May 20th, 2013 - Day 1 

The DC mission trip is on its way as our first night lifted the blinders of our previous life, as we now will enter our immersion with the impoverished. My team is surprisingly very open which makes me really happy to know them so well. Knowing us we will do incredible tasks during our time here. As I learned today, homelessness can happen to anyone rich or poor, black or white, big or small. People are rough all over is what I learned. People are the same no matter the status or quota. We are under metamorphosis for the better as we immerse ourselves in faith, hope, and love. As a group we have all three with a factor of compassion as well. I feel as time goes on the connections I make with these guys will be like K5 all over again. As I will have a new family of people that will be called my extended family. Hopefully we come up with a good family name like my K5 fireflies. As a family I feel that our stories will transcend and change us for the better. To end this I would like to put as song lyric I learned recently! : Hope for the best, expect the worst. The worlds a stage, it is unrehearsed. Some reach the top friends, while others flop friends. Hope for the best, expect the worst.” – Mel Brooks


Life is filled with twists and turns as we stumble along. Yet, it is us who controls what our life can be like. Some stand on the sidelines while others make a difference. As a family we make differences. It gives us a reason to live and keep fighting the good fight. No matter how low or bleak it gets in our life, we pick ourselves up and keep smiling. That is hope and we can never lose hope, as it is eternal and could never be diminished. I look forward to the coming days. It is while writing this the Forrest Gump song was on and inspired me to write.