Sunday, June 23, 2013

Tying it All Together by Meghan Cramsie


May 24th, 2013 - Day 5 

We all grew up with the horrible stereotypes of homeless people. However, on this trip we were taught during our weekly meetings and the second we got here to get rid of those stereotypes. We were taught some different situations of poverty and homelessness that I, at least, never thought about. I have heard many times about getting rid of my thoughts and treating homeless people like anyone else. This was understandable to me, but I was always and still am a little nervous interacting with them.

Charlie’s Place completely changed my mind. While speaking with a man who was homeless for financial and medical problems, I really understood the importance of getting rid of these stereotypes. This man did not fit the image of a longhaired, dirty older man with rags for clothes. Also while watching my team speak with the other clients of Charlie’s Place, I saw these homeless men in a different light. They looked like completely new people. This showed me that we need to acknowledge homeless people on the street to show them and the people